Monday, August 18, 2008

Notes from an Internship - Week 6

During my last days, my internship came full circle – I was assigned to the government client I worked on first. When I was on this client during the beginning of my internship we were in the audit planning phase. By the time I returned, the actual audit was underway. The senior, Vakela, was really good to work with. I appreciated her approach to training me. She explained things thoroughly so I understood completely from the start. I also worked with an associate, Crystal, who is entering her second year with the firm. I think the three of us made a good team.

On Thursday there was an 'end of the internship' event. All the Atlanta interns went to see an improvisational performance at the World Theater. I am usually not a big fan of improv, but I have to admit I really enjoyed this event. It was great to see the other interns who I had not seen for a while.

On Friday, we learned whether we were offered full time jobs at KPMG. Most interns met with their Performance Management Leaders (PML) to learn about offers. Since mine was out of town I met with my recruiter, Kathryn. We had a pretty relaxed conversation and then she handed me a folder with my offer inside - which I accepted! The perfect ending to a perfect summer internship.

I packed up my car for the long drive back to Ohio. I was definitely looking forward to spending some time relaxing with my family and friends before my classes start. During the ten to eleven hours in my car I had plenty of time to reflect on the past two months. This internship has surpassed my expectations. I learned so much about working in audit, I met incredible people and I had a lot of fun.

One of the greatest parts of my internship has been the incredible people I have met. KPMG really recruits some great people, it’s humbling and it makes me want to work harder and improve myself. For example, one intern, Calvin, owns his own technology business and is extremely intelligent. Every time I spoke with him I learned something new. And I always love learning about different countries from my peers with diverse backgrounds. I feel that I developed just as much from being in the presence of these awesome people as I have from the work experience.

I am very happy with my choice to join KPMG after I graduate and I cannot wait to see what will be in store for me!

No comments: