Monday, July 28, 2008

Notes from an Internship - Week 3

Paris was awesome! It was cool to see the Eiffel Tower, Mona Lisa, etc. I returned to London on Monday morning and got in with enough time to go home and freshen up for work. Living in central London is so convenient.

My Monday was busy since we were prepping for a half-year review engagement later in the week. I was assigned several tasks to complete for the review, so I compiled them into a list and prioritized. The end of the day seemed to come in the blink of an eye.

Tuesday was no different although I did get a break to go on a field trip to pick up copies of a client’s board meeting minutes. I had to make a summary of the minutes so we could see if the board of directors made any important decisions for the first six months of the year. After completing the summary, I headed off to a meeting for all the global audit interns, at which many KPMG audit leaders spoke about their experiences working in audit. Among the leaders was James Conway, the COO of audit, who shared his thoughts on global rotations, career progression, the auditing profession and working at KPMG. We had a lot of fun and didn’t end up leaving until after 8 pm. Of course the late work evening didn’t deter us interns from going out for a while afterwards.

Wednesday, I finished up more prep work and then packed and shipped a box of supplies via courier to a client site so we would have them when we arrived there the next morning. Then I headed about two and a half hours north of London via train to the hotel where we were staying for the rest of the week to be close to the client.

Thursday was a long day, but very productive. I tracked work papers, prepared an analytical review between the current and previous periods and learned a lot about the client and how it manages its business. That is definitely one of the best things about auditing - you learn so much about different industries and different types of companies and how they operate. I hope to audit companies in many different industries early in my career so I can gain a more well-rounded knowledge of business.

Friday, we finished up the rest of our work at the client site and then headed back to London. All this traveling is definitely teaching me to travel light! I got back just in time to meet with some of the interns for another social activity. (Who says accountants are boring, right?) We had a small party at our flat and then eventually headed to a club that plays drum & bass, which I honestly never had heard of before. Everyone dances to it like they’re having convulsions but it’s actually really fun. They definitely know how to have a good time in London! After recovering on Saturday, I went out to do some more shopping and sightseeing - my last weekend in London, but at least it was a fun one!

No comments: