Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Off-Topic #3: Things I Learned This New Year's

In no particular order:
  • The test of a good butcher is whether they've got a sign on the door that reads Bring Deer to Side.
  • My wife and I are no longer capable of killing a bottle of champagne between the two of us, even on New Year's Eve.
  • When grilling king crab legs and New York strip at the same time, don't forget the meat keeps cooking even after you've taken it off the heat.
  • When people in your neighborhood start banging pots and pans at midnight, it doesn't sound as impressive as they think it does.
  • You don't need a full bottle of champagne to sleep well (See #2).
  • Dogs don't care that it's the morning after.

1 comment:

Mark Feffer said...

An addendum:

Our marketing director, Maria Slabaugh (to shy to comment herself) says her hudband judges a meat store by the animal likenesses it uses on its signage. So, a pork store with an acrylic pig on the roof gets more points than, say, a butcher shop with a neon sign.

Fair enough. But it makes me remember the Sunday morning at the Flemington Fair in Flemington, N.J., where I began to buy a raffle ticket for half a steer, dressed and ready for the freezer. (I was perfectly willing to go buy a freezer with a half-steer capacity if I won.) I was happily anticipating a winter's worth of t-bones and short ribs when the woman at the desk invited me to "give 'er a look." Turned out " 'er" was the cow, who was standing right there, contentedly chewing its cud as all of these dreamy carnivores strolled by.

I didn't enter the contest. Carnivorous I may be, but I don't want to get to know my food too personally.