Thursday, July 12, 2007

McKenna on Careers

Francine McKenna, she of re: The Auditors, one of my favorite blogs, was interviewed about her career by Top Tier Life, a Web site for Big 4 employees and alumni. What I like about Francine and her blog is she (they) are witty and insightful. Her interview is witty, insightful and honest. She debunks several career flavors of the month, including:

People also think I am am a super-networker and I do know a lot of people and have some relationships that go back to my days at as an intern at a bank while in college. But I have also lost many contacts along the way. I don’t believe the saying, “Don’t burn any bridges.” I think sometimes people and jobs are best left in the dust.

And:

I do not believe in the concept of work-life-family balance. What I mean is that you should always be moving towards convergence of all of your interests, aptitudes and passions. Making a living often takes a lot of time away from family and other hobbies or interests. Wouldn’t it be nice if the work, the vocation you choose, is also an expansion of your interests and in synch with the lifestyle you want to lead, whether that is a solo existence, with a partner or spouse, or with a big family? Writing about professional services is finally a way to mix what I know, what I’m good at, and the opportunity to be around other people whose interests I share.

Interview Series - Part 3 [Top Tier Life]

No comments: