Thursday, September 13, 2007

A Blog on Certification Woes

Building on the popularity of the Internet as a form of communication for younger CPAs and accounting students, the New Jersey Society of CPAs' Web site now features the “Exam Cram Blog.”

Scott Sandford, a society student member who currently works for Deloitte's tax practice, uses the blog to relate the travails of studying for the CPA exam. Check it out here.

Sandford chalks up the blog's following to the commiseration factor. He muses about flash cards and the best snacks for studying, and in between snarky comments offers a realistic view of obtaining the CPA certification. “I offer a peer’s perspective on the process,” he says, “and people can see what I am going through right at the moment. What our professors told us was correct. Sudy and be diligent and that’s the best way to pass.”

Sandford has already sat for - and passed - three sections of the test, but in a recent post he says he had to reschedule the date to take the fourth section, as he knew he just wasn’t ready. “I’ve had my stumbling blocks, but I know this will help in my career," he says. "At Deloitte, advancing in the tax practice means getting the CPA, going on to law school or getting a master’s in tax, and I see that as the next step for me.”

--Myra Thomas

No comments: