Monday, October 29, 2007

Foxes in the Henhouse

Call me crazy, but I can't shake this feeling that things I do online should have a certain degree of privacy attached to them. I know that when I post a profile in LinkedIn or Facebook, people are going to look at it. That's the point. What I don't expect is for employees of Facebook to check out the search activity of users, basically at their whim:
"My friend got a call from her friend at Facebook, asking why she kept looking at his profile," says a privacy-conscious source at a major tech company. Turns out Facebook employees can (and do) check out anyone's profile. Not only that, but they also see which profiles a user has viewed -- a major privacy violation. If you've been obsessed with a workmate or classmate, Facebook employees know. If Barack Obama's intern has been using the campaign account to troll for hotties, Facebook employees know. Within the company, it's considered a job perk, and employees check this data for fun.
The bold-faced emphasis is mine.

From a pure-user standpoint, this makes me not want to use Facebook very much. Reading this item, I couldn't help but wonder whether there are any auditing implications in here - I mean, could Facebook one day have to account for who's looking at what

Facebook employees know what profiles you look at [ValleyWag]

No comments: