Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Hate Selling? Me, Too. But...

Are you Introverted? Would you rather focus on your spreadsheets or a QuickBooks problem than go out and chat people up at your next chamber of commerce breakfast or state association meeting? Bad news: if you really want to flourish, you may have to get out more.

Over on CNet, Steve Tobak writes:

I don't care if you're an IT professional, a musician, a consultant, a CEO, a recruiter, an engineer, a doctor, an accountant, or a professional athlete. You're also a salesperson. That's right, we're all in sales. You, me, your boss, your lawyer, your spouse, your kids; everyone's in sales.


You see, from time to time, each of us is called upon to sell something. It could be a product, a service, a plan, an idea, a creation, a story to a judge or jury, or even oneself (presumably for a job, not into slavery). And more often than not, it's actually very important that we succeed. I don't know why; that's just the way it is.


It's hard for me to imagine anyone being successful in life without having the ability to sell when necessary. And yet, we think of it as something unsavory or even unethical. Not only does the idea fill some people with disgust, fear or self-loathing, but to make matters worse, most people aren't even good at it.


Well, let me dispel a myth. Selling isn't a bad thing. It's got a bad rep, but that's because it's misunderstood. The purest capitalist relationship is between a seller and a buyer of goods or services. So, for every capitalist act, there's a seller involved. Selling is a noble thing. And not only can you do it, but you can learn how to do it well and with dignity.

Since I'll plead guilty to thinking of selling as being less-than-graceful - at least when I do it - I devoured this piece. The ten tips he provides are logical, approachable - and not frightening at all.

Learn how to sell--it's for your own good [CNet]


1 comment:

Spiritbear said...

I got a little irked. You imply being introverted as a weakness. I hate schmoozing. Small talk is about as much fun to me as a colonoscopy and a root canal at the same time. Some people are just not wired to be schmoozers