Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Who's Not Getting a Job?

Two interesting comments to our JobsintheMoney story on demand for CPAs in Massachusetts (see it here):

Interesting to see this article. There are accountants out here willing to go to work. The problem is age discrimination, which, by the way, is against the law. Most, if not all, of this firms will hire only the 20 something crowd. I am a middle aged person who was a victim of a massive layoff from an IT company a few years ago and went to college during my unemployed time and pursued a B.S. in Accounting. Now, sadly, I have faced much discrimination when trying to pursue an entrly level staff accountant. A 'culture of youth' has been created in these companies to the point they will not hire anyone else unless it is a senior executive level. Until the profession changes it hiring practices, it will continue to suffer as displayed in this article. Age discrimination is alive and well in the accounting profession. So don't complain about "shortage of accountants" when there is plenty if you are willing to stop the silly
politically correct hiring practices.

And this one:

Recently, I've been reading a lot of articles on jobsinthemoney.com about the demand for CPAs or accountants. I've been trying to transition out of actuary work into accounting. I'm lacking the CPA certification by 1 exam and I have experience around tax matters, disclosures required by SEC ect. However, no opportunities have presented itself, so the demand I keep reading about I don't see it. So Mr. Berr maybe this demand is for experienced (e.g. Big 4) hires only. Just a thought.

I'd be curious to hear what others think. (I've my own opinions, of course, but I think the views of other CPAs - with or without jobs - would be far more interesting....) Post your comment below.

No comments: