Monday, December 03, 2007

Retention and You

There's an interesting exchange about employee retention on The Wall Street Journal's Small Business area. Mark Wilson, president and chief executive of telemarketing company Ryla Teleservices and Tom Gimbel, CEO of recruiting firm the LaSalle Network, were guest moderators of a reader forum about ways small companies keep their employees.

Yes, I know telemarketing and recruiting don't have tons to do with accounting (though LaSalle does have an accounting and finance practice). But I do think this discussion has more to do with human nature than any one professional field. The biggest takeaway is something I've heard about a lot: People are more inclined to stick around when they feel like they're an integral part of the company. To a lot of people, that kind of vibe is more important than money.

It also puts people in a good bargaining position if want something to change, but aren't sure switching jobs is going to address their feelings. I've felt that way, liking where I work but bothered by some dynamic or another. I've found managers - at least good ones - tend to be open to conversations about changing the way I work, or modifying my responsibilities, especially when I steer the talk along the path of improving performance and satisfaction. When you're not asking for more money, it's easier to position the discussion as being between two professionals seeking a better way to reach their mutual goals.

So, read this. There's some good ideas in here.

Readers, Experts Talk About Employee Retention [WSJ - $]

No comments: