Thursday, April 19, 2007

More Reasons to Update Your Resume

These are from AdAge, and they don't apply only to advertising people.

When we feel unhappy or unsatisfied about things, usually it means that there's something out there that could be better suited for us.

So, let's look at the signs. (And if my boss is reading, please remember I'm just trying to serve our readers). Depending on your answers, updating your resume could become all the more important.


1. You dread getting out of bed in the morning.

I actually don't have a big problem with this, even though I get up at 5. My wife manages to sleep through it but my dog, Cody the Hyperactive Terrier, puts a paw over his eyes and growls as soon as I come out of the shower. So, no, I don't dread getting up but it is causing a bit of family stress.

2. Your work relationships and performance are beginning to suffer.

JobsintheMoney's office is basically a big room without offices or even cubicles. So it's easy for me to see what everyone here thinks about this.

Myles Falkenhainer, our partnership manager (after demanding to know where his remarks would be published) says our relationship is suffering "not at all, not the least bit."

Jon Jacobs, our staff writer, says our working relationship is "pretty healthy." But he started Monday, so give me time.

Over on the sales desk, the women say they hate me and the men say I'm OK. I think my wife would be alright with this.

I couldn't track down my boss to find out what she thinks. But I did OK in my review last December.

3. You become "someone else" at work.

The voices in my head say "No."

4. The position doesn't make use of your talents.

I write for and about financial professionals and CPAs. You, dear reader, are a financial professional and CPA. Your call.

5. You spend most of your time engaged in bitch sessions.

No, not most of my time. Actually, not that much of my time. On the other hand, we've established I have relationship troubles with a chunk of the sales force. Still, I say "no" to this one.

Try out these questions yourself. Post your answers in a comment. Go ahead.

Five Signs Its Time to Look for a New Job [AdAge]

No comments: