Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Portrait of the CPA as a Working Man

There's a nice profile in the New York Post of Jack Cohen, a New York City CPA. You may not find huge amounts of career insights here, but there's certainly a lot of reality:

We work hard. This is not H&R Block. We have a sophisticated clientele and they expect good work. It can get tedious. I wouldn't call accounting a glamorous profession, but it takes care of my family. And I like helping people. The best feeling is when I hear someone say, "I didn't know I could deduct that."

And:

In college I wanted to be a sports announcer. I used to do interviews for the Brooklyn College radio station. I would bring my tape recorder and microphone to Nets games and do play-by-play, trying to get good as announcer. But I felt like that wasn't a way to earn a living. In school a few accounting majors showed me that being a CPA would be a way to make a good living, and I went with that.

How's this compare to you? Post a comment.

FOR ACCOUNTANT, APRIL IS CRUNCH TIME [NY Post]

No comments: